Other nonfiction writing
In The Air– column in Montana Woman Magazine
- Snow Geese at Freezeout Lake, April 2017 issue
- Black-capped Chickadee, February 2017 issue
Montana Natural History Center Field Notes, on Montana Public Radio
- ‘Field Notes’: All About The Western Meadowlark aired May 22, 2016
- Townsend’s Solitaire: Soundtrack To Your Hike aired February 7, 2016
For my second year of graduate school at The University of Montana, I was one of the co-editors of Camas: The Nature of the West, a literary magazine produced by the Environmental Studies graduate students at UM. Along with the fantastic Chandra Brown, my co-editor/conspirator/roommate, we produced two issues: Winter 2015 and Summer 2016.
Winter 2015: Movement
Summer 2016: Revolutions
- website: Camas Magazine
- email: email@example.com
- facebook: Camas: The Nature of the West
- twitter: @CamasMag
Burtt, Edward H., Jr., Schroeder, Max R., Smith, Lauren A., Sroka, Jenna E., and McGraw, Kevin J. “Colourful parrot feathers resist bacterial degradation“. Biology Letters. 7.2. (2011): 214-216.
Summers, J.A., Nary, D., Lassmann, & Smith, L. (April, 2017). “What is Rural Resilience?” Poster presentation at the annual NARRTC conference in Alexandria, VA. See http://rtc.ruralinstitute.umt.edu/resilience-poster-2017-narrtc/.
Smith, L. ed. RTC:Rural, 2017. Advocacy Skill Building Toolkit. A toolkit for Centers for Independent Living and others to conduct workshops that use improv to introduce and develop advocacy skills in youth with disabilities.
Ohio Wesleyan Publications
In The OWL:
- “Climbing Through Life.” 2009.
- “Bats in the Backyard.” 2009.
- “Fernandina Island.” 2009.
- “Starfruit with Meredith.” 2009.
- “Shoreline.” 2009.
- “Banana Poems.“ 2006.
Presque Isle Bird Banding Blog
- Here are the links to some of my favorite blog posts I wrote while I was interning with PA Audubon in Erie, Pennsylvania. I was there mist-netting and banding birds for the Spring and Fall migration, from April to October 2011. Since I was by far the keenest about writing regular blog updates, the task fell to me to keep the world updated on our doings. It was a lot of fun. Presque Isle State Park is a lovely place, with nice beaches (yes, Lake Erie has beaches) and a paved multi-purpose trail that runs around the park. Makes an excellent day trip.
- “New Study Shows Blue Jays Roost Upside-Down.”
- “The Cutest Things Ever.”
- “Orioles vs. Yankees.”
- “Mom, this one’s for you.”
- “Blackpolls In the Mist.”
- “Things that go “plump-er-lunk” in the night!“
Outdoor Minded Mag
- “Why I Climb.” posted Feb. 27, 2013, on OutdoorMindedMag.com
- “An OMM Guide: 9 Steps to Completing the Camino de Santiago as told by Anthony Manrique.” February 27, 2013. OutdoorMindedMag.com
- “Behind Lenses: Learning to Kite in Peru’s Kiteboarding Mecca, Paracas Bay.” March 4, 2013. OutdoorMindedMag.com
- “5 Outdoor-Minded Nonprofits Fighting The Couch Epidemic: Getting Kids Outside.” March 11, 2013. OutdoorMindedMag.com
- “Dog Sledding in Northern Norway with Varg the Husky Dog.” March 25, 2013. OutdoorMindedMag.com
- “You Know You Have An Addiction to Backpacking When…” March 25, 2013. OutdoorMindedMag.com
- “9 Steps to Biking Your Way Across Western Europe.” April 9, 2013. OutdoorMindedMag.com
- “A Sit Down with Steve W. Weiss: A Guy That Moved Across America for Mountains & Powder.” April 24, 2013. OutdoorMindedMag.com
- “Adventure Photo on Canvas Contest.” April 25, 2013. OutdoorMindedMag.com
- “The Hour I Biked Through the Storm, Spain.” April 26, 2013. OutdoorMindedMag.com
- “Photography Sets: Max Seigal and the Magic of the Natural World.” May 1, 2013. OutdoorMindedMag.com